Graduate Student Life Write-In Day
Graduate Student Life Write-In Days Scheduled for 2016-17
Fall 2016: Saturday, November 12, 8:30am-5:00pm
Spring 2017: Saturday, April 8, 8:30am-5:00pm
Graduate Student Life Write-In Day
Saturday, April 8, 2017
Registration is now open and will close on Monday, March 27, 2017, at noon.
Free yourself from distractions. Commit to meeting your writing goals.
Take one step closer to being DONE with your paper, thesis, or dissertation.
Sign up for Graduate Student Life’s Write-In Day. This day-long program will give you group accountability and a space to write with other Mason graduate students who are also serious about getting writing done. Graduate Student Life will provide the space, coffee, meals, and snacks. You need to bring your computer, any other materials you need, and most importantly, your personal commitment to working diligently and productively.
The next Graduate Student Life Write-In Day will be held at the Fairfax campus on Saturday, April 8, 2017, 8:30am-5:00pm. Spaces are limited to 30 participants. If you would like to participate, complete the interest form when it opens beginning Tuesday, February 28, 2017; the deadline to register is Monday, March 27, 2017 at noon. Further information, including location, will be provided to those who are confirmed to participate.
If interest exceeds capacity, priority will be given to those working on dissertations, theses, and other projects that help students meet requirements or benchmarks for their degree programs. All George Mason graduate-degree-seeking students at the Fairfax, Arlington, Science & Technology, and Loudoun campuses and online programs are eligible to participate.
If you are confirmed to participate, you must make the following commitments:
- To arrive on time at 8:30am and to stay for the duration of the day until 5:00pm
- To turn off access to Facebook, online games, and other computer/online-based distractions during writing time
- To minimize distractions by phone by limiting texting and phone calls to scheduled break times
- To contribute to a supportive writing community among fellow participants
8:30-9:00am Connections: Coffee and light breakfast snacks
9:00-9:30am Convening: Sharing goals
9:30am-12:30pm Distraction-free Writing / Individual Writing Productivity Consultations
1:30-4:30pm Distraction-free Writing / Peer Review Consultations
4:30-5:00pm Wrapping up: evaluations, resources, future commitments
Individual Writing Productivity Consultations
A Learning Specialist from Learning Services will be available for a limited number of brief (15-minute), one-on-one consultations during this time to offer tips and strategies to increase your writing productivity. Topics can include improving concentration, goal setting, time management, and more. Sign-ups for these consultations will be available during the opening session.
Peer Review Consultations
Peer Reviewers and Editors from the Journal of Mason Graduate Research will offer individual 30-minute sessions to provide constructive suggestions about ways to improve a small portion of your writing. All sessions will be a combination of written feedback and discussion. There are two options for this block of time:
- Detailed Review: For this type of session, choose no more than 2 pages of text that you wish to have reviewed. The Peer Reviewer will provide in depth feedback about the clarity, logic, and grammar of the selection.
- Specific Review: For this type of session, the Peer Reviewer will address one area of concern that you have about your paper. Some areas to consider are: transitions, overall structure, clarity of thesis statement, introduction and conclusion paragraphs, and logic of results.
Sign-ups for Peer Review Consultations will be available during the opening session and lunch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sign Up for Graduate Student Life Write-In Day
Registration for the Write-In Day closed on Monday, March 27, 2017 at noon. We will contact those who signed up no later than Friday, March 31, 2017 to confirm participation. If interest exceeds capacity, we may not be able to accommodate everyone who is interested.