The inaugural Gradstravaganza was held on Friday, September 6, 2013. Read below for details from that event.
Friday, September 6, 2013 4:00-8:00pm SUB 1 Quad
(Rain location: Patriots Lounge in SUB 1)
All new and continuing Mason graduate students are invited to the first ever Gradstravaganza, a graduate student welcome picnic, outdoors on the SUB 1 Quad (rain location: Patriots Lounge in SUB 1). Join fellow Mason grad students for FREE food, connections with campus resources, door prizes, and giveaways, including special “We Are Mason Grad Students” t-shirts! Also featuring a balloon artist, caricaturist, and sno-cones. Families are welcome! Remember to bring your Mason student ID with you! Brought to you by Graduate and Professional Student Association (GAPSA), Graduate Student Life, the Office of the Provost, and the Office of Student Involvement. More details, including the full agenda and list of door prizes, will be posted soon!
Registration is now closed, but you are still welcome to come to the event.
The menu for Gradstravaganza includes:
- Hot Dogs
- Veggie Burgers
- Grilled Chicken Breast
- Relish Tray (American Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Sliced Onion, Pickles, Condiments)
- Pasta Salad
- Fruit Salad
- Assorted Cookies
- Ice Water
- Cash Bar
Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate all dietary preferences. You are welcome to bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages to meet your and/or your guests’ dietary guidelines.
4:00 Gradstravaganza begins!
- Attendees should go to the Check-in Table to sign in, receive wristband and t-shirt (Mason grad students only), and enter prize drawings
- Buffet opens
- Resource Fair begins
4:30 Welcoming Remarks
- Welcome and introduction of speakers: Cody Edwards, Associate Provost for Graduate Education
- Welcome from Rose Pascarell, Vice President of University Life
- Welcome from Katy Seipel McQuiston, President of the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GAPSA)
- Event highlights: Julie Choe Kim, Director of Graduate Student Life
Novelty entertainment begins (available until 7:30pm):
- Balloon artist
- Snow cones
5:00 Door Prize Drawing #1 6:00 Door Prize Drawing #2 7:00 Door Prize Drawing #3 7:30 Novelty entertainment ends 7:45 Door Prize Drawing #4 8:00 Gradstravaganza ends
Location and Parking
The SUB 1 Quad is located between Student Union Building 1 (SUB 1) and Fenwick Library. In the event of rain, Gradstravaganza will be held in Patriots Lounge inside SUB 1. The closest public parking is available in Mason Pond Parking Garage ($3/hour). You may also park in your regularly assigned lot. For more information about parking, visit the Parking Services website. To view a map of campus, visit here.
What to Bring
- Mason ID (how to get your ID)
- Picnic blanket or towels to sit upon
- Openness to meeting fellow Mason graduate students!