Read below for details about Gradstravaganza 2014. Visit the Gradstravaganza page for information about the current event.
Friday, September 5, 2014
3:30-5:00pm: Mini-Workshops in the Johnson Center
5:30-7:30pm: Picnic at Mason Pond Lawn
All new and continuing Mason graduate students are invited to Gradstravaganza, Mason’s annual graduate student welcome event! Join fellow Mason grad students for FREE food, mini-workshops highlighting strategies for success in graduate school, connections with campus resources, door prizes, and giveaways, including special “We Are Mason Grad Students” t-shirts! Also featuring a balloon artist, caricaturist, funnel cakes, and lawn games. Families are welcome! Remember to bring your Mason student ID with you! Brought to you by Graduate and Professional Student Association (GAPSA), Graduate Student Life, the Office of the Provost, and the Office of Student Involvement. Pre-registration is strongly encouraged by August 29, 2014. Those who are pre-registered will receive first priority in receiving t-shirts.
New this year: Mini-Workshops for Graduate Student Success!
We are offering an array of mini-workshop sessions aimed at promoting your success in your graduate program. All mini-workshops will be held in the Johnson Center on the third floor. Check-in for these sessions will be held in the West Lobby on the third floor by the elevators. Graduate students who participate in the mini-workshops will have the opportunity to receive their T-shirts at the end of the third session!
Mini-Workshop Schedule (NOTE: Schedule and room locations have been updated!)
|JC Room B||JC Room C||JC Room D||
JC Room E
|3:30-4:00pm||Pathway through the PhD||Managing Limited Time and Multiple Demands (slides)||Cultivating a Community of Support||Building Your Network Now for Your Job Search Later (slides)|
|4:00-4:30pm||Building an Effective Relationship with your Mentor/Advisor||Managing Limited Time and Multiple Demands (slides)||Involvement and Advocacy: Spotlight on GAPSA and Student Organizations||Building Your Network Now for Your Job Search Later (slides)|
|4:30-5:00pm||Building an Effective Relationship with your Mentor/Advisor||Fellowships and Funding Opportunities during Grad School and Beyond (flier, info sessions)||Advice for Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs)||Making the Commitment to Writing (Elements of Writing Productivity handout)|
Important Information about Mini-Workshops
Check-in for the mini-workshops will begin at 3:00pm in the West Lobby on the third floor of the Johnson Center, near the elevators. Capacity for the mini-workshops will be limited to 55 students each and available on a first-come, first-served basis. At Check-in, you will receive tickets for your selected sessions; you must present these tickets to be admitted to the workshop room.
Registration for Gradstravaganza closed on August 29, 2014 at 10:00am. Graduate students who registered by the deadline will have priority in receiving a “We Are Mason Grad Students” t-shirt.
You are welcome to attend if you do not pre-register; you must still bring your Mason ID, and you will not be guaranteed to receive a t-shirt.
Food for Gradstravaganza will be provided by Firehouse Subs. The menu includes sub sandwiches, chips, cookies, and salads, as well as lemonade, iced tea, and soda. Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate all dietary preferences. You are welcome to bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages to meet your and/or your guests’ dietary guidelines.
3:30 – 5:00pm Mini-Workshop Sessions in the Johnson Center (third floor)
- Beginning at 3:00pm, attendees should go to the Check-in Table in the West Lobby by the elevators on the third floor of the Johnson Center to sign in (bring your Mason ID) and pick up tickets for their selected mini-workshop sessions. Capacity at these sessions is limited.
- The mini-workshops begin at 3:30pm. You must present your ticket for the correct workshop at the correct time in order to gain admission.
- At the end of the third mini-workshop, please hand in your mini-workshop evaluation to a volunteer. You will receive a “We Are Mason Grad Students” t-shirt as you leave (Mason graduate students only).
5:30pm Picnic Begins at Mason Pond Lawn
- Check-in stations will open at 5:00pm. Attendees should go to Check-in Stations with their Mason IDs to receive their wristbands for food and raffle tickets for door prizes. Non-Mason guests must be accompanied by their Mason graduate student host to enter.
- Pre-registered attendees may pick up their t-shirts at the T-shirt Distribution Table with their Eventbrite ticket and Mason ID.
Novelty entertainment begins:
- Balloon artist
- Funnel cakes
- Lawn games provided by Mason Recreation
Door Prize Drawings will be held at 6:00pm, 6:30pm, and 7:00pm.
7:30pm Gradstravaganza ends
Location and Parking
The mini-workshop sessions will be held in the Johnson Center on the third floor. Check-in will take place in the lobby by the elevators on the third floor. The picnic will be held at Mason Pond Lawn, outside Mason Hall and the Center for the Arts. The closest public parking is available in Mason Pond Parking Garage ($3/hour). You may also park in your regularly assigned lot. For more information about parking, visit the Parking Services website. To view a map of campus, visit here.
What to Bring
- Mason ID (how to get your ID)
- A print-out of your Eventbrite registration
- Picnic blanket, lawn chairs, or towels to sit upon
- Openness to meeting fellow Mason graduate students!