Read below for details about Gradstravaganza 2015. Visit the Gradstravaganza page for information about the current event.
Friday, September 4, 2015
3:30-5:00pm: Mini-Workshops in the Johnson Center
5:30-7:30pm: Picnic at
Merten Lawn (Rain location: The HUB Ballroom)
All new and continuing Mason graduate students are invited to Gradstravaganza, Mason’s annual graduate student welcome event! Join fellow Mason grad students for FREE food, mini-workshops highlighting strategies for success in graduate school, connections with campus resources, door prizes, and giveaways, including special Mason Grad Student t-shirts! Also featuring balloon artists, caricaturists, kettle corn, Rita’s ice, and lawn games. Families are welcome! Remember to bring your Mason student ID with you! Brought to you by Graduate Student Life, the Office of Student Involvement, the Office of the Provost, and the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GAPSA). Pre-registration is strongly encouraged by August 31, 2015. Those graduate student attendees who are pre-registered will receive first priority in receiving t-shirts.
Mini-Workshops for Graduate Student Success
We are offering an array of mini-workshop sessions aimed at promoting your success in your graduate program. All mini-workshops will be held in the Johnson Center on the third floor. Check-in for these sessions will be held in the West Lobby on the third floor by the elevators. Graduate students who participate in the mini-workshops will have the opportunity to receive their T-shirts at the end of the third session and a wristband for expedited entry to the picnic!
Mini-Workshop Schedule (NOTE: Schedule has been updated as of 9/4/2015!)
|JC Room C||JC Room D||JC Room E||
JC Room F
|3:30-4:00pm||Strategies for Success in Your Master’s Degree Program||Managing Limited Time and Multiple Demands||Well-Being during Graduate School: Looking out for Yourself and Others||Building Your Network Now for Your Job Search Later|
|4:00-4:30pm||Building an Effective Relationship with your Mentor/Advisor||Managing Limited Time and Multiple Demands||Making the Commitment to Writing||Building Your Network Now for Your Job Search Later|
|4:30-5:00pm||Building an Effective Relationship with your Mentor/Advisor||Fellowships and Funding Opportunities during Grad School and Beyond||Pathway through the PhD||Advice for Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs)|
Important Information about Mini-Workshops
Check-in for the mini-workshops will begin at 3:00pm in the West Lobby on the third floor of the Johnson Center, near the elevators. Capacity for the mini-workshops will be limited to 55 students each and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please review the mini-workshop descriptions in advance and select first-, second-, and third-choice options.
Registration for Gradstravaganza 2015 closed on Monday, August 31, 2015 at 5:00pm. Graduate students who registered by the deadline will have priority in receiving a Mason Grad Student t-shirt when they attend the event.
You must attend Gradstravaganza to receive your T-shirt; registering alone does not guarantee you a T-shirt.
You are welcome to attend if you do not pre-register; you must still bring your Mason ID, and you will not be guaranteed to receive a t-shirt.
Gradstravaganza participants will receive a bagged meal from Panera Bread with a sandwich, chips, and cookie OR a salad, chips, and apple.
Sandwich options include: Sierra Turkey sandwich, Mediterranean Veggie sandwich, Tuna Salad sandwich, and Chicken Caesar Salad sandwich.
Salad options include: Fuji Apple Chicken Salad (with no blue cheese; gluten-free) and Greek Salad.
The menu also includes soda and water. Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate all dietary preferences. You are welcome to bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages to meet your and/or your guests’ dietary guidelines.
3:30 – 5:00pm Mini-Workshop Sessions in the Johnson Center (third floor)
- Beginning at 3:00pm, attendees should go to the Check-in Table in the West Lobby by the elevators on the third floor of the Johnson Center to sign in (bring your Mason ID) and receive a wristband.
- The mini-workshops begin at 3:30pm. Capacity at these sessions is limited, so have alternative sessions in mind in case your first choice is full.
- At the end of the third mini-workshop, please hand in your mini-workshop evaluation to a volunteer. You will receive a Mason Grad Student t-shirt as you leave (for current Mason graduate students only).
5:30pm Picnic Begins at
Merten Lawn RAIN LOCATION: The HUB Ballroom
- Check-in stations will open at 5:15pm. Attendees should go to Check-in Stations with their Mason IDs to receive their wristbands for food and raffle tickets for door prizes. Non-Mason guests must be accompanied by their Mason graduate student host to enter. Those who attended mini-workshop sessions may enter through their designated entry point for an expedited process.
- Pre-registered graduate student attendees may pick up their t-shirts at the T-shirt Distribution Table with their Eventbrite ticket and Mason ID. You must attend Gradstravaganza to receive your T-shirt; registering alone does not guarantee you a T-shirt.
Novelty entertainment begins:
- Balloon artist
- Kettle corn
- Lawn games provided by Mason Recreation
Door Prize Drawings will be held at 6:00pm, 6:30pm, and 7:00pm.
7:30pm Gradstravaganza ends
Location and Parking
The mini-workshop sessions will be held in the Johnson Center on the third floor. Check-in will take place in the lobby by the elevators on the third floor.
The picnic will be held at Merten Lawn. The closest public parking to the picnic is available in Rappahanock River Parking Deck ($3/hour). You may also park in your regularly assigned lot. For more information about parking, visit the Parking Services website. To view a map of campus, visit here.
UPDATE 9/4/2015 11:00am: The Gradstravaganza Picnic will be held in the rain location at The HUB Ballroom. The closest public parking is available in Shenandoah Parking Deck ($3/hour).
What to Bring
- Mason ID (how to get your ID)
- A print-out of your Eventbrite registration
- Picnic blanket, lawn chairs, or towels to sit upon
- Openness to meeting fellow Mason graduate students!