Read below for details about Gradstravaganza 2016. Visit the Gradstravaganza page for information about the current event.
Friday, September 9, 2016
3:30-5:00pm: Mini-Workshops in the Johnson Center
5:30-7:30pm: Picnic at The Hub (Lawn, Patio, and Indoor Spaces)
All new and continuing Mason graduate students are invited to Gradstravaganza, Mason’s annual graduate student welcome event! Join fellow Mason grad students for FREE food, mini-workshops highlighting strategies for success in graduate school, connections with campus resources, door prizes, and giveaways, including special Mason Grad Student t-shirts! Also featuring balloon artists, caricaturists, Rita’s Italian ice, and lawn games. Families are welcome! Remember to bring your Mason student ID with you! Brought to you by Graduate Student Life, Student Involvement, the Office of the Provost, the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GAPSA), and the Journal for Mason Graduate Research.
Mini-Workshops for Graduate Student Success
We are offering an array of mini-workshop sessions aimed at promoting your success in your graduate program. All mini-workshops will be held in the Johnson Center on the third floor. Check-in for these sessions will be held in the West Lobby on the third floor by the elevators. Graduate students who participate in the mini-workshops will have the opportunity to receive their T-shirts at the end of the third session and a wristband for expedited entry to the picnic!
|JC Room B||JC Room C||JC Room D||JC Room E||JC Room F|
|3:30-4:00pm||Pathway through the PhD||Strategies for Success in Your Master’s Degree Program||Managing Limited Time and Multiple Demands||Teaching Tips for Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs)||Making the Commitment to Writing|
|4:00-4:30pm||Building Your Network Now for Your Job Search Later||Strategies for Success in Your Master’s Degree Program||Managing Limited Time and Multiple Demands||Fellowships and Funding Opportunities during Grad School and Beyond||Building an Effective Relationship with your Mentor/Advisor|
|4:30-5:00pm||Building Your Network Now for Your Job Search Later||Mason Libraries: We’re at Your Fingertips!||Managing Limited Time and Multiple Demands||Well-Being during Graduate School: Looking out for Yourself and Others||Building an Effective Relationship with your Mentor/Advisor|
Important Information about Mini-Workshops
Check-in for the mini-workshops will begin at 3:00pm in the West Lobby on the third floor of the Johnson Center, near the elevators. Capacity for the mini-workshops will be limited to 55 students each and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please review the mini-workshop descriptions in advance and select first-, second-, and third-choice options.
The Gradstravaganza Picnic will feature food provided by Famous Dave’s Barbecue, including pulled barbecue chicken sandwiches, veggie burgers, coleslaw and mac & cheese. We will also be serving Rita’s Italian Ice.
The menu also includes soda and water. Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate all dietary preferences. You are welcome to bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages to meet your and/or your guests’ dietary guidelines.
3:30 – 5:00pm Mini-Workshop Sessions in the Johnson Center (third floor)
- Beginning at 3:00pm, attendees should go to the Check-in Table in the West Lobby by the elevators on the third floor of the Johnson Center to sign in (bring your Mason ID) and receive a wristband.
- The mini-workshops begin at 3:30pm. Capacity at these sessions is limited, so have alternative sessions in mind in case your first choice is full.
- At the end of the third mini-workshop, please hand in your mini-workshop evaluation to a volunteer. You will receive a Mason Grad Student t-shirt as you leave (for current Mason graduate students only).
5:30pm Picnic Begins at The Hub (Lawn, Patio, and Indoor Spaces)
- Check-in Stations will be located
on the lawn outside The Hub PatioINSIDE The Hub in Suite 2300 (Student Involvement office) and will open at 5:15pm. Attendees should go to Check-in Stations with their Mason IDs to receive their wristbands for food and activities and raffle tickets for door prizes. Non-Mason guests must be accompanied by their Mason graduate student host to enter. Those who attended mini-workshop sessions may access food and entertainment with their wristbands.
- Food will be available inside The Hub in the Side Pocket (2nd floor of The Hub, between the Corner Pocket and Wing Zone).
- T-shirts will be available at the T-shirt Distribution Table outside Student Involvement until quantities run out! T-shirts are only available for current Mason graduate students.
Novelty entertainment begins:
- Balloon artists
- Lawn games provided by Mason Recreation
The Corner Pocket will be open and free for Gradstravaganza attendees, featuring billiards, table tennis, and arcade-style games.
5:45pm Welcome Remarks
- President Ángel Cabrera
- Cody Edwards, Associate Provost for Graduate Education
- Juliet Blank-Godlove, Dean of Students
- Christian Suero, President of the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GAPSA)
Door Prize Drawings will be held at 6:00pm, 6:30pm, and 7:00pm.
7:30pm Gradstravaganza ends
Location and Parking
The mini-workshop sessions will be held in the Johnson Center on the third floor. Check-in will take place in the lobby by the elevators on the third floor. The picnic will be held at The Hub; the closest public parking to the picnic is available in Shenandoah Parking Deck ($3/hour). You may also park in your regularly assigned lot. For more information about parking, visit the Parking Services website. To view a map of campus, visit here.
What to Bring
- Mason ID (how to get your ID)
- Picnic blanket, lawn chairs, or towels to sit upon
- Openness to meeting fellow Mason graduate students!