Gradstravaganza: Graduate Student Welcome
SAVE THE DATE:
Gradstravaganza 2018 will be held on Friday, September 7, 2018. Stay tuned to this page for updates!
Gradstravaganza 2018 details will be published here in June 2018. For your reference, information about Gradstravaganza 2017 is below.
Please contact Graduate Student Life with any questions.
Friday, September 8, 2017
3:30-5:00pm: Mini-Workshops in the Johnson Center (Fairfax Campus)
5:30-7:30pm: Picnic at The Hub (Lawn, Patio, and Indoor Spaces) (Fairfax Campus)
All new and continuing Mason graduate students are invited to Gradstravaganza, Mason’s annual graduate student welcome event! Join fellow Mason grad students for FREE food, mini-workshops highlighting strategies for success in graduate school, connections with campus resources, games, and giveaways, including special Mason Grad Student t-shirts! Families are welcome! Remember to bring your Mason student ID with you. Brought to you by Graduate Student Life, Student Involvement, the Office of the Provost, Mason Recreation, the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GAPSA), and Mason Parking Services.
Mini-Workshops for Graduate Student Success
We are offering an array of mini-workshop sessions aimed at promoting your success in your graduate program. All mini-workshops will be held in the Johnson Center on the third floor. Check-in for these sessions will be held in the West Lobby on the third floor by the elevators. Graduate students who participate in the mini-workshops will have the opportunity to receive their T-shirts at the end of the third session and a wristband for expedited entry to the picnic!
|JC Room A||JC Room B||JC Room C||JC Room D||JC Room E|
|3:30-4:00pm||Making the Commitment to Writing||Teaching Tips for Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs)||Mason Libraries: We’re at Your Fingertips!||Pathway through the PhD||Managing Limited Time and Multiple Demands|
|4:00-4:30pm||Building Your Network Now for Your Job Search Later||Building an Effective Relationship with your Mentor/Advisor||Strategies for Success in Your Master’s Degree Program||Fellowships and Funding Opportunities during Grad School and Beyond||Managing Limited Time and Multiple Demands|
|4:30-5:00pm||Building Your Network Now for Your Job Search Later||Building an Effective Relationship with your Mentor/Advisor||Strategies for Success in Your Master’s Degree Program||Well-Being during Graduate School Looking out for Yourself and Others||How to Get On-Campus Employment as a Graduate Student|
Important Information about Mini-Workshops
Check-in for the mini-workshops will begin at 3:00pm in the West Lobby on the third floor of the Johnson Center, near the elevators. Capacity for the mini-workshops will be limited to 55 students each and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please review the mini-workshop descriptions in advance and select first-, second-, and third-choice options.
Pulled Barbecue Chicken on Kaiser Rolls.
Black Bean Garden Burgers
Vegetarian Baked Beans
Rita’s Italian Ice
This agenda will be updated with further details and instructions for check-in by early August 2017.
3:30 – 5:00pm Mini-Workshop Sessions in the Johnson Center (third floor)
5:30pm Picnic Begins at The Hub (Lawn, Patio, and Indoor Spaces)
Novelty entertainment and lawn games provided by Mason Recreation begin.
The Corner Pocket will be open and free for Gradstravaganza attendees, featuring billiards, table tennis, and arcade-style games.
7:30pm Gradstravaganza ends
Gradstravaganza will be held on the Fairfax Campus. The mini-workshop sessions will be held in the Johnson Center on the third floor. Check-in will take place in the lobby by the elevators on the third floor. The picnic will be held at The Hub. To view a map of campus, visit here.
Parking and Transportation
The closest public parking to the picnic is available in Shenandoah Parking Deck ($3/hour). You may also park in your regularly assigned lot. For those without parking passes for the Fairfax Campus, Lot C will be made available for you to park in for free. For more information about parking, visit the Parking Services website.
From Arlington Campus:
- Shuttle: A free shuttle will be provided between Arlington Campus and Fairfax Campus specifically for Gradstravaganza. Starting at 2:00pm, Friday, Sept. 8th, a shuttle will be running between Founders Hall (Arlington Campus) and The HUB (Fairfax Campus) on a continuous loop.
- Founders Hall- First pick up is at 2pm; last drop off is at 8pm.
- The Hub- First pick up is between 2:45 and 3:00pm, depending on traffic from Arlington; last return trip returning to Founders Hall is at 7:30pm.
- Metro: You may also choose to take the Metro to reach Fairfax from Arlington. You can take the Orange Line from the Virginia Square-GMU Metro station to the Vienna Metro station. At the Vienna Metro station, there is a Metro to Mason Shuttle that can take you directly to the Fairfax Campus with a valid Mason ID. Visit the Mason Shuttles website for more information. You may also take any Cue Bus from the Vienna Metro station to the Fairfax Campus.
From Science and Technology Campus in Prince William:
- You may take the SciTech-Fairfax GMU shuttle to the Sandy Creek Transit Center stop. For more information, including the schedule, visit the Mason Shuttles website.
What to Bring
- Mason ID (how to get your ID)
- Picnic blanket, lawn chairs, or towels to sit upon
- Openness to meeting fellow Mason graduate students!