Learn More about Well-Being this Spring at MasonMarch 24, 2017
By Whitney Hopler, Communications Coordinator, Center for the Advancement of Well-Being
No matter what field you’re studying at Mason as a graduate student, you can benefit from learning about well-being at this year’s Spring into Well-Being (SIWB) campaign. “Life is not merely being alive, but being well,” ancient Roman poet Marcus Valerius Martialus pointed out. That applies just as much today as it ever did. There’s something for everyone in the lineup of more than 100 events planned for the six weeks of SIWB, from Monday, March 20 to Friday, April 28. Here are just a few highlights of particular interest to graduate students:
- Thursday, March 30, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., the Quad, North Plaza, and South Plaza: Do a good deed at Mason Good Deeds Day, a celebration of positive change through volunteering, sponsored by Mason Hillel. You can choose from a variety of different volunteer opportunities, from making cards for people who need encouragement, to signing up to potentially become a lifesaving bone marrow donor.
- Saturday, April 1-Sunday, April 2, all weekend, Elizabeth Furnace group camping area: Enjoy an outdoor adventure on a Graduate Life Outdoor Adventures trip to a beautiful mountain valley near Strasburg, Virginia. You can hike, fish, learn about history, and enjoy conversations with your fellow graduate students.
- Monday, April 3, 4 p.m.-7 p.m., Auld Shebeen Irish pub in Fairfax City: Eat, drink, and be merry at a Graduate Student Life social/happy hour with others from Mason. Food and beverages (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) will be provided. (For graduate and professional students only)
- Friday, April 7, 1:30-2:45 p.m., SUB 1, Room 3129: Learn how to sleep better at a workshop that teaches relaxation techniques to calm your mind at night.
- Wednesday, April 19, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., North Plaza: Help take good care of the environment at Mason’s Sustainability Showcase & Seedling Sale. Learn about environmental groups at Mason, buy seedlings to plant, eat healthy food, and more.
Other SIWB events repeat multiple times throughout the six weeks. For instance, you can join faculty, staff, and fellow students to practice mindfulness meditation, which can help you reduce your stress and increase your concentration. Or, you can build your physical fitness by joining a “Who’s Walking Wednesdays” walk at noon any Wednesday during SIWB, meeting people at the Wellness Circle in front of Merten Hall and walking across campus together while learning interesting stories.
This year, let spring renew your passion for learning by making time to invest in your well-being. The better you take care of yourself, the more strength you’ll have to pursue your graduate studies. As artist and writer Emily Carr once said, “Oh, spring! I want to go out and feel you and get inspiration. My old things seem dead. I want fresh contacts, more vital searching.”
In addition to Camping at Elizabeth Furnace and the Happy Hour at Auld Shebeen Irish Pub, Graduate Student Life, the office of UL Arlington and SciTech, and GAPSA are sponsoring many more activities and events during Graduate and Professional Student Appreciation Week. For a full list of activities, times, and locations, check out our event page for the Appreciation Week.
Have a great week,